Are you looking for an effective Lower Body Workout that will help shape up those legs this summer and help you burn some extra calories before hitting up the beach?
Check out my WOD (workout of the day):
Started off with some Movement Prep work to get my muscles firing and let my joints loosen up a bit for the volume of work they were about to endure.
1. Wall Squat : 2 sets x 5 reps – These are used to get the hips to open up so we can get your glutes firing during the squat movement effectively.
2. Body Weight (BW) Squats: 2 x 10 reps – Again, working strict form to open up the hips, corkscrew the femurs so you can fire your glutes and keep your chest up the entire movement.
3. Overhead Barbell (BB) Squats: 3 x 10 reps @ 45 lbs.- Now, with the hips loosened up it’s time to get the shoulders and core engaged a bit more by throwing a BB overhead whilst squatting.
4. BW Squat Jumps: 2 x 5 reps – Squat down and explode out of the hole to fire your central nervous system, work to your power, and get those glutes/hams/quads contracting explosively as we move into the workout.
5. BB Squat Jumps: 5 x 2 reps @ 30% BW on bar – so now we’re going to further push our explosiveness by adding a BB loaded up with 30% of our BW (For me it was 75#) and perform 5 sets of 2 squats with 60 sec between sets.
**Now with our movement prep completed, my legs are fired up and ready to take on the actual workout load…
1. BB Front Squats: 10 sets x 10 reps @ 50% of your 1 Rep Max (1RM) – Lot’s of volume here! Ten (10) sets of Ten (10) reps of Front Squats… aka 100 total reps… at 50% of your heaviest weight. For me, my 1RM on my Front Squat is 315#, so I used 155# for this workout… Now, the key to this workout is the rest intervals, take a strict 2 minutes of rest between sets- no more, no less. Try to keep your mind engaged in the session while resting so you don’t take too much time between sets. Even at 50% of your 1RM, your mind will start playing tricks on you so keep engaged and wage war on this session!
2. 45 sec of work vs. 15 sec rest (for 10 minutes) of Heavy Bag Work– this one is simple, beat the hell outta the heavy bag for 45 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds and repeat this process for 10 minutes… just picture someone you’d really like to beat the Sh*t out of and go to work. Let the DARK WARRIOR out to play and have fun with this awesome “cardio” workout.
That’s it… simple and effective!
Get on it!
– Michael Watkins
DO YOU LIKE THIS WORKOUT? IF SO, GET MORE OF IT WITH OUR BRAND NEW “MOVIE READY” TRAINING PROGRAM! WE’RE PULLING DIRECTLY FROM YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE AND TV ACTORS ON HOW THEY TRAIN AND EAT TO GET FIT FOR THE BIG (AND SMALL) SCREEN. CLICK BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION!